The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Washington is seeking a Liturgical Assistant for the Office of Worship. The Liturgical Assistant will assist the Director of the Office of Worship in coordinating and preparing all of the liturgical ceremonies and workshops for The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Washington.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide timely and accurate administrative support in matters regarding the Office of Worship.
- Process correspondence, checks and order supplies as needed.
- Assist in planning Major Archdiocesan Liturgies (i.e., Right to Life Mass, Chrism Mass, Regional Confirmations, Adult Confirmations, papal visits, school Masses, installations, confirmations, etc.).
- Special Projects (i.e., Ordo, One License, Event Registrations, Newsletters, Stipends for Masses)
- Collaboration with other APC offices (especially the Cardinal’s Office, Communications, Clergy, Auxiliary Bishops, IT, Finance, Facilities, Office of Cultural Diversity and Outreach, and Canonical Services) and local liturgy offices (especially the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception and the Cathedral of St. Matthew the Apostle).
- Assist in preparing liturgical materials (planning forms, texts, vestments, etc.) for various liturgies.
- Assist in organizing St. Ursula chapel and coordinating the ministers needed for daily Mass.
- Assist in the preparation of Worship Aids used for internal liturgies.
- Coordinate MC assignments for liturgies celebrated by the auxiliary bishops of the Archdiocese and visiting bishops.
- Provide support to Archdiocesan clergy in carrying out formation for liturgical ministers and assist in coordinating Archdiocese workshops for liturgical ministers.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Must be a practicing Catholic who fully supports the teachings of the Catholic Church
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent command of the English language and proofreading skills.
- Ability to focus, multitask, and work well under pressure; manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment, and work independently.
- Must be able to think ahead, anticipate needs, initiate next steps, and maintain discretion in confidential matters.
- Excellent multi-tasking ability.
- Must be able to work as a team member and be collaborative.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field
- Must have a familiarity with the Catholic Liturgical Tradition and preferably parish liturgical experience
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Able to work in a hybrid office environment
- Available for occasional events and liturgies outside of traditional office hours
This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopier and filing cabinets. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Position type/expected hours of work.
- Hourly, full-time role
- The Liturgical Assistant will be expected to assist at major Archdiocesan liturgies outside of normal work hours on a routine basis (comp time may be taken during business hours in the same week).
- Applicants should also expect to serve occasionally as MC for the auxiliary bishops in their more regular liturgical celebrations at parishes throughout the Archdiocese.
Please forward your resume and letter of interest to Lisa Calla-Russ at the Archdiocese of Washington: [email protected]