Nicholas J. Healy
Associate Professor of Philosophy and Culture
M.T.S. Program Advisor
B.A., History, Franciscan University
M.A., Philosophy, Franciscan University
M.St., Theology, Oxford University
D.Phil., Theology, Oxford University
Professor Healy received his doctorate from Oxford University, with a dissertation on the theology of Hans Urs von Balthasar. Since 2002 he has served as an editor of the North American edition of Communio: International Catholic Review. His book The Eschatology of Hans Urs von Balthasar: Being as Communion was published by Oxford University Press. Recent articles have addressed the doctrine of providence, the question of "Christian philosophy," and the theological anthropology of Thomas Aquinas and Henri de Lubac. Currently he is working on the theology of the Eucharist and Christian states of life.
Select Books and Chapters
- Ressourcement after Vatican II: Essays in Honor of Joseph Fessio SJ. Edited by Nicholas J. Healy, Jr. and Matthew Levering (Ignatius Press, 2019).
- Freedom, Truth, and Human Dignity: The Declaration on Religious Freedom. [with David L. Schindler] (Eerdmans, 2015).
- "Eating Fire and Spirit: The Eucharist and the Blessed Trinity." in The Beauty of God's House: Essays in Honor of Stratford Caldecott. (Wipf & Stock, 2014).
- “The Marian Dimension of the Church and the Economic Order.” in Mary, God-Bearer to a World in Need. (Wipf & Stock, 2013).
- Being Holy In the World: Theology and Culture in the Thought of David L. Schindler. (Eerdmans, 2011). Co-edited with D.C. Schindler.
- The Eschatology of Hans Urs von Balthasar: Being as Communion. (Oxford University Press, 2005).
- “The Indissoluble Nexus of Nature, Body, and Person: Fifty Years after Humanae Vitae.” Communio: International Catholic Review 44 (2018).
- “Marriage, Priesthood, and the Sincere Gift of Self.” Communio: International Catholic Review 44 (2018).
- “The Truth Will Set You Free.” Columbia (August 2018).
- “Henri de Lubac and the Development of Doctrine.” Communio: International Catholic Review 44 (2017): 667-689.
- “The Light of Faith and the Development of Doctrine.” Anthropotes 33 (2017).
- “The Spirit of Christian Doctrine.” Communio: International Catholic Review 43 (2016).
- “Faith and the Sacrament of Marriage: A Response to the Proposal of a New Minimum Fidei Requirement.” Communio: International Catholic Review 42 (2015): 309-30.
- “Vatican II and Religious Freedom: Rupture or Authentic Development?“ Catholic World Report (November 2015).
- “Christ's Eucharist and the Nature of Love: The Contribution of Hans Urs von Balthasar.” St. Anselm Journal 10 (2015).
- "The Merciful Gift of Indissolubility and the Question of Pastoral Care for Civilly Divorced and Remarried Catholics." Communio: International Catholic Review 41.2 (2014): 306-330.
- "Natural Theology and the Christian Contribution to Metaphysics: On Thomas Joseph White’s Wisdom in the Face of Modernity.” Nova et Vetera 10 (2012): 539-62.
- “Christian Personalism and the Debate Over the Ends of Marriage.” Communio: International Catholic Review 39.1 (2012): 186-200.