Margaret Harper McCarthy
Associate Professor of Theological Anthropology
B.A., Religion/French, Grove City College
M.A., Theology, University of St. Thomas
S.T.L., S.T.D., Pontifical John Paul II Institute, Pontifical Lateran University
Professor McCarthy received her doctoral degree in theology at the Pontifical John Paul II Institute at the Lateran University in Rome (1994), with a dissertation on the contemporary theology of predestination. Since then her teaching and writing has focused on various themes belonging to theological anthropology, especially relative to the question of sexual difference: the imago Dei, person, equality, experience, and the problem of love (the "eros-agape problem"), but also relative to the larger nature-grace problematic through Christocentrism and the doctrine of predestination.
Professor McCarthy has been teaching at the John Paul II Institute since 1992. She is the Editor of Humanum: Issues in Family, Culture, and Science and also serves on the editorial board of the English edition of Communio: International Catholic Review.
- “Humanae Vitae and the Un-engendering of Gender.” in Humanae Vitae, 50 Years Later: Embracing God’s Vision for Marriage, Love, and Life: A Compendium, edited by Theresa Notare. (CUA Press, 2019): 119-144.
- “In Dialogue with the World: The Church and the Evanescence of the Family” in Enlightening the Mystery of Man: Gaudium et spes Fifty Years Later, edited by Antonio Lopez. (Humanum Academic Press, 2018): 211-235.
- Torn Asunder: Children, the Myth of the Good Divorce, and the Recovery of Origins. (Eerdmans, 2017).
- “Theological Foundations of the Vocation of Women in the Life of the Church: The Baptismal Priesthood and the Sacrament of Matrimony: A Response to Prof. Dr. Barbara Hallensleben” in Ruolo Delle Donne Nella Chiesa – Atti del Simposio promosso dalla Congregazione per la Dottrina della Fede. (Città del Vaticano: Libreria Editrice Vaticana, 2017): 21-34.
- "Gender Ideology and the Humanum." Communio 43 (Summer 2016): 274-298.
- “The Feminine Genius and Women’s Contributions in Society and in the Church” in Promise and Challenge: Catholic Women Reflect on Feminism, Complementarity, and the Church (Our Sunday Visitor, Inc., 2015): 105-27.
- "Modern Women, Modern Mothers: Resetting the Biological Clock." Humanum: Issues in Family, Culture, and Science 2 (2014).
- “Vatican II and the Church’s 'Openness to the World:' Casting a Wider Net through the Still ‘Narrow Gate’.” Communio 39 (Spring-Summer 2012): 227-68.
- “Predestination to the Glorious Liberty of the Sons and Daughters of God in Jesus Christ - Putting Predestination in its Place” in Sufficit gratia tua. Miscellanea in onore del Card. Angelo Scola, arcivescovo di Milano, in occasione del 70°genetliaco. (Venice: Marcianum Press, 2012): 325-56.
- “Experience, Feminism, and the Need for Christian Witnesses.” Communio 37 (Summer 2010): 329-345.
- “’Something not to be Grasped’: Notes on Equality on the Occasion of the Twentieth Anniversary of Mulieris Dignitatem.” Ave Maria Law Review (Fall 2009): 121-52.