David S. Crawford
Associate Professor of Moral Theology and Family Law
B.A., English, University of Iowa
M.A., Writing, University of Iowa
J.D., University of Michigan Law School
M.T.S., S.T.L., S.T.D., Pontifical John Paul II Institute, Washington, D.C.
Dr. Crawford teaches and writes in the areas of fundamental moral theology, bio- and sexual ethics, marriage and family, and law. Recent articles have addressed issues such as human action, natural law, homosexuality, condoms and HIV/AIDS, and the anthropological implications of modern civil law. He is currently engaged in research concerning morality and nature, as well as the theological and anthropological issues arising under modern legal theory, particularly as they concern marriage, family, and the person. He is the author of Marriage and the Sequela Christi, published by the Lateran University Press.
Select Books and Chapters
- Marriage and the Sequela Christi: A Study of Marriage as a "State of Perfection" in the Light of Henri de Lubac's Theology of Nature and Grace. (Lateran University Press, 2004).
- “Discerning the Signs of Our Times: Gaudium et Spes, Contraception, and Some Cultural Implications for Marriage and the Family as Natural Communities” in Enlightening the Mystery of Man: Gaudium et Spes Fifty Years Later, edited by Antonio Lopez. (Humanum Academic Press, 2018).
- "The Metaphysics of Bostock." First Things (July 2020).
- "The Abolition of Man and Woman." Wall Street Journal (June 2020).
- "Family Roles and Education in Love Today." Anthropotes 34/1&2 (2018): 547-566.
- “Public Reason and the Anthropology of Orientation: How the Debate over ‘Gay Marriage’ Has Been Shaped by Some Ubiquitous but Unexamined Presuppositions.” Communio 43 (Summer 2016): 247-273.
- “Evangelium Vitae, the Rhetoric of Freedom, and Roe v. Wade.” Nova et Vetera 13 (Fall 2015): 1209-28.
- "An Appeal: Recalling the teaching of Humanae Vitae (and Veritatis Splendor)." First Things (September 2015).
- "Gay Marriage, Public Reason, and the Common Good." Communio 41 (Summer 2014): 380-437.
- "Rights without Limits: Legal-Political Reason and the Shared Logic of Same-Sex ‘Marriage’ and ARTs." Humanum: Issues in Family, Culture & Science Issue 2 (2014).
- "Is Religious Liberty Possible in a Liberal Culture?" Communio 40 (Summer-Fall 2013): 422-437.
- "Mechanism, Public Reason, and the Anthropology of Orientation." Humanum: Issues in Family, Culture & Science Issue 3 (2012).
- "Liberal Androgyny: 'Gay Marriage' and the Meaning of Sexuality in Our Time." Communio 33 (Summer 2006): 239-265.
- "Of Spouses, the Real World, and the 'Where' of Christian Marriage." Communio 33 (Spring 2006): 100-116.
- "Love, Action, and Vows as 'Inner Form' of the Moral Life." Communio 32 (Summer 2005): 295-312.
- "Christian Community and the States of Life: A Reflection on the Anthropological Significance of Virginity and Marriage." Communio 29 (Summer 2002): 337-365.
- "Humanae Vitae and the Perfection of Love." Communio 25 (Fall 1998): 414-433.