The primary function of the Accompaniment Specialist is to assist the Director in providing staff support to the Subcommittee on the Catechism as it seeks to re-implement its mandate through the launch of the Institute of the Catechism. This integration will support the diocesan bishops, staff members, publishers, and content creators, as the Church implements a vision of “evangelizing catechesis.” The Accompaniment Specialist contributes to the Bishops’ strategic plan for the Conference. Demonstrates willingness and ability to understand, respect, and contribute to the USCCB mission and fulfill job duties per its Catholic identity.
Education Level: Graduate Degree in Theology
Other Specialized Training: (i.e., word processing, personal computer, knowledge of the Catholic Church, etc.)
- Knowledge of the Catechism of the Catholic Church, Sacred Scripture, ecclesial documents, National Directory for Catechesis, The Directory for Catechesis, etc.
- Experience with the Conformity Review Process and the new Pilot Process
- Administrative, planning, and management skills
- Proficiency in computer skills: Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), Microsoft Outlook, Internet.
Type and Nature of Professional Experience:
- Writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Excellent speaking and writing skills
- Research experience and skills
- Knowledge of the Catechism of the Catholic Church and the Directory
- Administrative and management experience
- Experience in Church systems and structures, especially the previous Conformity Review Process
- Ability to deal with confidential and sensitive communications
Language Requirement: Spanish proficiency is preferred but not required
- In addition to duties detailed above in Major Duties and Responsibilities, provide help as necessary with other projects of the Subcommittee on the Catechism:
Oversee the development of a comprehensive process for accompanying bishops and diocesan catechetical directors in implementing an evangelizing catechesis within their diocese. This entails developing a protocol for regular, significant contact with bishops and diocesan catechetical directors, especially to encourage participation in the annual Conference and related events.
- Oversee the development of a formation process for diocesan catechetical directors, including leading breakout sessions at the annual Conference, developing online resources for initial and ongoing formation, and initiating support structures for diocesan directors of catechesis such as regional gatherings and online discussions.
- On-going re-implementation efforts associated with the Doctrinal Frameworks and documents used by the Subcommittee on the Catechism
Number of Years Required: 4-5 years of directly related experience
Please click here to apply.