Grades and Transcripts

Grade Appeals

A student who wishes to appeal a course grade must do so within the first 30 days of the semester following the semester of the course in question. He or she should first take up the matter with the professor of the course. The professor must respond within 30 days. If a satisfactory resolution is not reached within this period, the student may appeal formally to the Provost/Dean, who will discuss the matter with the student and the professor and make a final decision within 30 days. The grade appeal form is available in the Reception Office (McGivney 313). A successful appeal of an "F" grade will result in a mandatory grade of "P." 

Grade Reports

Grade reports are issued by the Registrar after the end of each semester according to the system below. To remain in any of the degree programs at the Institute, students must maintain a grade-point average of at least 3.0. 

Grading System

A Excellent 4.00
A- 3.66
B+ 3.33
B Satisfactory 3.00
B- 2.66
C Passing but marginal 2.00
F Failure 0.00
P Pass
I Incomplete 0.00
W Withdrawal 0.00
AU Audit 0.00


Coursework is to be completed by the end of the semester in which the course is taken. The provisional grade of "I" (Incomplete) may be given only to a student who has not completed the requirements of a course for serious reasons, for example, death in the immediate family or hospitalization, and who has made a formal application using the form available in the Office of Admissions. The grade of "I" is not given to one who has simply failed to meet the academic requirements of the course on time.

Incomplete grades must be removed before mid-semester of the succeeding term, whether or not the student continues in residence. If the grade of "I" is not removed by mid-semester, it will be recorded as a grade of "F" (Failure).

Under extraordinary circumstances, a student may petition the instructor of the course and the Provost/Dean for an extension of the period normally allowed for removal of the "I." This petition must be made before the date of the mid-semester following the reported "I" grade.

Transcripts and Diplomas

Each student may request one transcript free of charge. Further transcripts may be obtained for a fee of $5 by check made payable to the "John Paul II Shrine and Institute, Inc." Requests for transcripts may be obtained through use of our online form and submitted to the Office of the Registrar.

Diplomas for the S.T.L. and S.T.D. degrees are issued through the Pontifical Lateran University in Rome.