The mission of the Catholic Archdiocese of Washington is to spread the light of the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the world. In the faithful pursuit of this mission, the archdiocese is seeking a Director of the Office for Family Life.
The Director of the Office for Family Life works in collaboration with other directors and staff in the Secretariat for Pastoral Ministry and Social Concerns to serve pastors in forming missionary disciples. The mission of the Office for Family Life is to build a culture of marriage and family life with a specific emphasis on the implementation of the teaching of Amoris Laetitia. The director oversees the day-to-day operations and budget and the work of the Associate Director for the Office for Family Life. The ideal candidate will have a missionary zeal to envision ways to witness to the truth and beauty of the Catholic vision of marriage and family life.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Develop resources that respond to pastors needs on catechesis and spirituality for every stage of marriage and family life.
• Coordinate the marriage preparation schedule for the archdiocese including the formation of marriage preparation teams
• Plan annual events including the Wedding Mass, retreat days for couples struggling with infertility, parents whose children are no longer practicing the faith, and archdiocesan men’s and women’s retreats
• Coordinate the archdiocesan Natural Family Planning education program
• Work with the staff of the seminary to ensure the formation of newly ordained priest for marriage preparation ministry including marriage inventory tools and NFP education
• Serve as a liaison to marriage and family life apostolates in the archdiocese
• Coordinate and assist other offices in the Secretariat with programs that support family life for example, chastity education, remote marriage preparation, and other Catholic family initiatives.
Knowledge, Skills, and Experience
• Active, practicing Catholic committed to the teachings of the Catholic Church
• Strong writing and oral communication skills.
• Must be comfortable and effective in presenting material to adults in a classroom setting
• Highly organized
• Able to work a flexible schedule
• Able to work in a fast-paced environment
• Strong ability to handle multiple projects with tight deadlines
• Strong ability to work collaboratively while developing working relationships with fellow staff members as well as pastors and their staffs.
Education and Experience
• Must possess a college degree.
• Master’s degree in theology or related family studies preferred.
• Three to five years of parish or diocesan ministry preferred.
• Bilingual Spanish a plus
• Experience with programming in a culturally diverse environment.
• Experience in giving presentations to large groups of individuals.
• Able to train others on diverse topics.
• This job operates in a professional office environment and routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, copiers and filing cabinets.
• The physical demands describe here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
• Regular full-time employee (40 hours/week); evening and weekend hours may be required