The Archdiocese of New York is large and diverse, with ministries serving 2.81 million Catholics and encompassing 290+ parishes in the greater New York area. The Family Life Office serves the people of God in the archdiocese by helping them to discover and live out their lives as persons made in the image and likeness of God by providing programs and resources that prepare and enrich engaged and married couples; educate, support and strengthen families; build and promote a culture of life; and provide healing and comfort to those struggling with loss, grief, or brokenness.
“Catholic marriage and family life ministry serves all married couples and families by proclaiming the love of God to them and helping them embrace their vocation to love and discipleship.” The Director of the Family Life Office will be responsible for carrying out this mission by leading, managing, and supervising the 9+ staff members who coordinate and assist with the specific programs and ministries within the Office, as well as collaborating with the other Archdiocesan pastoral offices who support this mission. Working closely with the Vicar General and the Cardinal, he/she will continue to regularly discern the trajectory of the Office, the need for new initiatives and approaches, or greater emphasis in a particular program, depending on changes in public policy, threats to the God-given definition of marriage and family, technological advances, and other shifts in the cultural climate.
• Assist in the development and the implementation of the vision of the Cardinal Archbishop for family life ministry throughout the archdiocese, and translate that vision into effective initiatives and resources that are relevant, meaningful, and helpful to the individuals, couples and families in the archdiocese.
• Provide vision/oversight for the Family Life Office programs, ministries, and areas of support including but not limited to:
– Marriage Preparation
– Marriage Enrichment and Mentoring
– Fertility Awareness and Natural Family Planning
– Parenting and Family Life Education
– Separated & Divorced Ministry
– Pastoral Bereavement
– Spanish Programming
• Lead, manage, and supervise the staff members who coordinate and develop the 7+ pastoral programs of the Family Life Office, ensuring that the pastoral programs are superior, in alignment with ADNY principles and Church teachings, and engaged in continuous improvement. The Director is responsible for the hiring and evaluation of employees, as well as for motivating staff.
• Maintain familiarity with broad scope of marriage and family life programs, including those offered by or promoted within the archdiocese.
• Regularly advise, support and update the Cardinal Archbishop of New York and the Vicar General on timely and important family life matters as they affect the Church. When requests/directives come directly from the Cardinal [and/or his senior-level leadership team] which need to be addressed and/or implemented by the Family Life Office Director or his/her staff, be ready and willing to adjust work plans and work pace as necessary.
• Understand all aspects of the budget process, and monitors/streamlines all costs, expenses and receipts for Family Life events and projects to be able to effectively forecast the annual Family Life Office budget and make good stewardship decisions.
• Collaborate and coordinate with internal and external colleagues, including clergy and religious, to foster alignment with the National Pastoral Framework for Marriage & Family Life Ministry.
• Provide regular (monthly) updates and status reports to the Vicar General and the Cardinal on the various programs and initiatives of the office.
• Data management and analysis with a goal of measuring the effectiveness of Family Life Office activities.
• Represent the Family Life Office at forums and events as appropriate and as requested, and which may require occasional traveling (within and outside of New York), such as Presbyteral Council meetings, NACFLM and USCCB meetings, etc.
• Special projects and events as needed
For the full position description and application instructions, please click here.