The Assistant Director for Pro-Life Communications plans and overseas the secretariat’s media and communications strategy and assists with the overall communications efforts of the secretariat, including: following relevant issues and media; planning & conducting press events; strategic public presentations, appearances, and Hill briefings; producing videos and writing op-eds, letters to the editor, educational articles, press releases and statements, and other materials; making use of social media, as well as traditional print outlets. Oversees secretariat’s websites, online advertising, and social media. Manages secretariat’s efforts with advertising and public relations firms. Contributes to the Bishops’ strategic plan for the Conference. Demonstrates willingness and ability to understand, respect and contribute to the USCCB mission and to fulfill job duties in accordance with its Catholic identity.
1. Plans and oversees the promotion of secretariat’s programs & resources through a wide variety of platforms.
2. Cultivates strategic opportunities to push out the bishops’ pro-life messaging.
3. Provides consultation on resource development and coordinates the distribution of video and other rich media resources in support of bishops’ pro-life policy & public education efforts.
4. Establishes & maintains secretariat liaisons with writers, pro-life organizations, bloggers, and other media representatives.
5. Maintains a close working relationship with other appropriate USCCB staff offices involved in public policy matters, and, as necessary, works with them in preparation of statements and other public documents.
6. Conducts research and analyzes public opinion statistics, commissioning polls, when needed, in support pro-life message development.
7. Directs secretariat’s work with public relations firms and oversees related budget of one-half million dollars.
8. Plans, coordinates, and conducts media events, in collaboration with Public Affairs and other offices.
9. Serves as the secretariat’s communications point person, responding to media requests on abortion and related life issues.
10. Directs development of advertising campaigns in various media for communicating the bishops’ pro-life message.
11. Cultivates good working relationships with diocesan pro-life directors, state Catholic conference directors, and, when appropriate, key staff of national organizations involved in life-related public education and policy activities.
12. Collaborates with other staff in building unity among Catholic leaders and organizations in support of the U.S. bishops’ efforts to defend life.
13. Provides key input in planning conferences and trainings sponsored by the secretariat.
Level: Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred
Major Field/Specialty: Communications / Public Relations / Public Policy
Foreign Language Requirement: (if any) Spanish helpful but not required.
Interested candidates should send their resumes to Tom Grenchik at [email protected] and apply via the USCCB application site: https://www.usccb.org/careers