The building that houses the John Paul II Institute's D.C. session is named in honor of Father Michael J. McGivney (1852-1890), a parish priest who was active in New Haven, Connecticut. Having a great heart to care for working-class Catholic families, widows, and orphans, he founded the Knights of Columbus in 1882, which since has grown into the world's largest lay Catholic organization, with 1.75 million members. Father Michael McGivney was named a "Venerable Servant of God" in March 2008 by Pope Benedict XVI.
In May 2006, the Knights of Columbus announced an $8 million grant for renovation of The Catholic University of America's Keane Hall to house the Pontifical John Paul II Institute for Studies on Marriage and Family. In July 2008, the Institute moved into the refurbished building. The building was renamed McGivney Hall. Dedicated and blessed on September 8, 2008, McGivney Hall now houses Keane Auditorium and other classrooms as well as the offices of the Institute.
The old auditorium area.
The new Keane Auditorium.
The building that houses the John Paul II Institute's D.C. session.